Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Going

As I drove to the airport with my smiling boys and doting wife, I thought about how tricky it was to actually pull this trip off. I spent a good while on the phone, ironing out the ever changing plans. At many points along the week prior to taking off, I was sure it was not going to happen. I had to fax paperwork, complete fingerprinting and background checks, sign liability forms saying I was not holding anyone responsible for kidnapping, and learn the very important, thought highly un-fun characteristic of patience.

But, at last, everything had been cleared and I was on my way.

As I walked down a long terminal in San Francisco I noticed a beautiful installation that I knew immediately was the work of a former art teacher. Nance O'Banion was my sculpture and fiber teacher at the California State Summer School for the Arts way back in 1987. I was a tiny pup, just figuring out my world and this camp was filled with many firsts. I look back on that time and it makes me feel a sense of accomplishment that now ages later I am an artist still and in fact make my living through the very thing I was so passionate about back then.


Thanks, Nance, for the inspiration and for being a guiding light to a little punk kid.



No comments:

Post a Comment